Hi there! My name is Lynsey, but my “trail name” is Stubbs. Why Stubbs? Well, there’s no fun and exciting story to it. Let’s just say I’m vertically challenged! For my first post on my very own blog, I thought I would share a bit about myself to you, the reader (thanks for reading by the way, that’s super rad of you)!
I have dreamed about hiking the Appalachian Trail in its entirety from Springer Mountain, Georgia to Mount Katahdin, Maine, for about 10 years with my boyfriend (now husband), and we finally got around to trying on Easter Sunday 2016. It was life changing and probably one of the best and most challenging experiences I’ve ever been through. Unfortunately, I couldn’t complete the whole thing after I developed a pelvic stress fracture (which I stupidly ignored for 500+ miles of the journey)!
Needless to say, I decided to get off the trail at Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania and returned to my home in Maryland to heal up so I could try the whole thing again in 2017. One thing that dragged me out of my post trail depression was to write about it. I’ve never been much of a writer, but SURPRISE! I actually kinda enjoy it (you learn new things about yourself everyday… if you’re me). I had so many thoughts running through my head, so I needed an outlet and my new found hobby worked brilliantly.
I signed up to write for The Trek, one of the biggest blogging sites for hikers on the web, and have been hooked on sharing my stories and insight ever since. I still plan to continue to write for The Trek for now, and will be sharing some of my older posts once a week. I also plan on sharing some new content during the week as well!
Some Boring Fun Facts About Me!
- I am Not Tech Savvy! – You can imagine how long this blog has taken me to put together.
- I want to be a Triple Crowner in 3 Years – Meaning I wish to thru hike the 3 main long trails of the US; the Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail.
- I’m a Travel Junkie – After I hike all the trails on my bucket list, I plan to get back to my global treks. So far I’ve been to Canada, The Netherlands (wink, wink), Peru, Nepal, India, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and to 41 of 50 states in the US.
- I have a Hole in my Lip – Not in the literal sense, although I had a couple drinks in Vietnam and decided to get my lip pierced for a day (sorry Mom)! I digress; let’s just say I have a closet full of stained shirts!
- I’m a Sufferer of Depression – After experiencing the healing powers of the trail, I decided to hike for mental wellness this year. You can help me raise funds toward the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation here if you’re feeling generous today!
- Other Hobbies aside from Hiking and Traveling?
- reading books – the paper kind
- craft beer – especially IPAs and Pale Ales
- cat hoarding – well, not really, but just you wait til I’m 80!
- running – a love-hate relationship
- More Fun Facts:
- Parrots creep me out
- I’m an off and on vegetarian (currently carnivorous)
- Biggest pet peeve? – When people tuck their t-shirt into their pants
- I’ve been skydiving twice
- I can be a nature nerd – I may get overly excited about moss on a tree